Goodsol.com - Pretty Good Solitaire

Alternations

2 Decks. Very Hard (<1%). Skill/Luck balanced

I decided to play from #1000 onwards as I'd probably played quite a lot of the lower ones previously. No stats etc for it on this PC.

Anyway, #1021 gave me the impression it could be won and after a few replays I proved that it was. I would be interested to learn how anyone of you got on with it. Take care ..... worrying back is not possible.

Partial and full solution will be posted a few days from now.

Comments

• If memory serves me correctly (and at my age that is a big IF) I remember that #1 and #2 were winnable and we thought that the winning percentage was way out of whack until we couldn’t find another win number! Lol. Let me try your number…

• edited October 11

I thought I'd/we'd played it before but have no recollection of any winners, although our track record of giving up gracefully without bagging any would be totally out of character. 😂

Went looking and found the following.

Sixteen years ago !!! There are other winners in that thread too if you're interested Ken. Personally I prefer looking for new ones.

• My best score is 55. Did you know that I’m partial to partials?

• Whole partials or partial partials Ken? 😁 I'll part with one part one.

55 is a decent score btw.

• Parting with one part two too. 😁

Even from part partial part one not obvious how one once won it. 😊

• Houston, we have a problem! If you recall, I no longer have a laptop, so I play all the games on my iPad and unless Thomas are Gregg can inform us otherwise, I don’t see where you can upload a solution to the iPad version.

• never mind, I just ordered a $200 computer with the express purpose of only playing PGS on it! Lol

• Try that Ken. In PGS, click on dropdown menu (top lhs) and select Open game. The link gets pasted into the long box at the foot.

• I’ve known how to do that for years but in an iPad, I don’t think you have that option. Maybe Gregg Tom can weigh in your future reference?

• I know nothing about iPads Ken. I've had some experience of iPatches though.🧐

• Richard, I bought a brand new laptop just so I could try your partial and it was well worth it since I got your first partial easily!

• First of many then I hope. 😊 (Solutions, not laptops). 😁

• Alas, the iPad version does not have that option, and due to Apple policy, it probably won't. (We submitted a version that would allow us to share statistics and Apple rejected that as providing unnecessary access to data files. 😡)

• FYI, Gregg, Play on the iPad is not my favorite thing to do. I don’t know whether it’s because my iPad is old or because I have fat fingers, but it would take three or four times for the cards to move and it was so annoying. Now that I bought a laptop, it’s so much nicer just using my mouse.

• >FYI, Gregg, Play on the iPad is not my favorite thing to do. I don’t know whether it’s because my iPad is old or because I have fat fingers, but it would take three or four times for the cards to move and it was so annoying. Now that I bought a laptop, it’s so much nicer just using my mouse.

Play on an iPad should be fairly responsive, and a touch should never be ignored, so something is clearly wrong. Even older iPads may animate slightly slower, but they never (in testing) require multiple touches to move a card. If your iPad is very dirty, or old enough that the touch capability of the screen is failing, that could cause problems (as would playing with gloves on 😉).

The only times I have ever seen something like this are on Pretty Good Solitaire Mini (the iPhone version) when I accidentally get extra fingers (or other exposed skin) onto the screen in such a way that the "multitouch" thinks that I am trying to resize the cards or something. I could not reproduce this on an iPad (with only a brief attempt), but perhaps you are holding the iPad in such a way that your fingers are slipping onto the screen and confusing the hardware.

I can't really tell without more information, so I can only say that it should not be happening and (the old QA cop out), "It doesn't happen here." 🤷‍♂️ I do appreciate the report, though.